Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And then...........

So, to make a short story long, I saw an oncologist the next afternoon, which was Friday.  He told me that he was 95% sure that I had Lymphoma, but he was just not sure what kind.  He wanted me to go straight to the hospital from there.  I said, "NO."  So, he wanted me there that night, and I said, "NO."  I had a husband, kids, Mother, grandkids and the rest of my family to talk to.  Plus, we have  met our group of friends on Friday night for supper for over ten years.    I needed to go there, and tell all of them.  Plus, I needed to go to Wal-Mart.  The doc demanded that I be in the hospital the next morning by 8:00 a.m.  So, I agreed to that. This was on Saturday morning.  This is the day that my life began to spin out of control.   When we got there, they were waiting for me to take me for a C T Scan.  The next morning, on Sunday, I had emergency surgery to save my kidney.  Many things began to take place.  All day Monday I was supposed to go to surgery to remove a lymph node to determine the type and stage of cancer that I had.  Monday morning I had a bone marrow aspirate, and they left me "drugged up," because they thought I would be going to surgery at any time.  Finally late Monday, around 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., I was finally taken to surgery.  (My family has a great time when I am drugged up.) I say crazy things.  I had an 8 inch incision in my groin from the surgery.  I went home on Wednesday night.  On Thursday morning, I had to be at Dr. Patel's office for my first treatment.  That treatment was a laboratory produced Rituxan, made from fish protein.  The following Tuesday morning I had Outpatient Surgery to put in a "port" that would be used to administer my chemo.  The next morning,Wednesday, I had a Muga Scan to make sure that my heart was strong enough to take the chemo.  Then we went back to the surgery center because I had a reaction to the port.  On Friday morning I was supposed to get my first real dose of chemo.  I could not receive it because of the problems with the port.  My iron level was also very low, so I received Rituxan, and an 8 hour infusion of iron.  The following Friday, I received another infusion of iron.  My first Real Chemo was scheduled for next Friday, April 16, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment